2005-07-19

iPod wishlist for today

I am still on vacation and using my iPod to listen to music. That got me thinking about cool stuff I would like added to the iPod, not as some clunky high priced add-on that you plug into your iPod but as standard. What I need are:

1) WiFi syncing with itunes and playing on your home stereo

I want an iPod that has wiFi that lets me connect to my home stereo so I can
listen to my iPod on my home stereo at 500W of speaker power at full blast. I
might need to fix all the broken windows in the neighborhood after that but it
would be really cool and worth it.

I also want to sync with iTunes from my laptop through WiFi, no more bothersome cables to deal with.

WiFi can also be used to push music on your iPod as a promotional tool and you can get new music from shops offering promotions if you listen to an advert or
something. Nouveau Marketeers would love that.
2) Wireless headset

I need a wireless headset for my iPod, get rid of all the tangly wires. This
would really let you listen on the go, leaving your iPod deep in your your
knapsack or on the table or in the other room. The headset needs to be small,
and why not, make the headset or ear pieces waterproof also so you can listen
when you shower or swim or play sports in the gym.
3) headphones that dont fall off

One thing that I hate about the iPod ear buds is that they keep falling off. I
don't know, maybe my ears are non standard shape or something, they look normal
to me. So I needs better gripping ear buds.

4) Waterproof iPod for listening underwater

If you are going to make the iPod ear buds better gripping and waterproof, go
all the way, make the iPod waterproof and you can really enjoy your music.
Listen to music while swimming, scuba diving, in the steam room, showering, hmmm thinking about it, the iPod color I have does look like a bar of soap.



5) Wireless music swaps

You and your iPod owning friends got together and wanted to swap music, just
send him/her your favorite playlist with your favorite songs and thats it.
Copyright lawyers wouldn't like that too much, but they never liked Video
Cassete recorders and Cassette tapes also, but that is another story.

6) Bluetooth support

If you are going to put Wifi, might as well support Bluetooth also. All the new
cool mobile phones got it and you can send pictures or music back and forth from
different bluetoothable phones, PDAs, laptops, etc. Might be a little slow for
syncing but works when there is no WiFi available.
7) Automatic BPM in iTunes

iTunes has this BPM field, why not have it automatically compute what the Beats
per Minute are, then you can have your iPod generate playlists with songs
merging with the other seamlessly. Your own personal DJ based on your music
library.


8) Smarter duplicate song detection

I need a better way to detect duplicate songs, rather than similar names that is
now provided by iTunes. How about a CRC check, BPM check, length of song,
with the current powerful processors available, even have songs that sound the
same automatically detected by your computer.

9) iPod friend detector

People these days are using their mobile phones bluetooth phone naming
functionto have their mobiles phones display a funny niuckname that tells a
little about their personality. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

A person's music taste would be a better indicator. You could be sitting drinking
cofee and your iPod would light up or talk to you telling you that someone else
in the same room shares your love for Frank Sinatra, Nina Simone, the Beegees,
Abba, and then you can send them a message or something.

10) Powerful FM trasmitter for the car radio

These FM transmitter add ons that you connect to your iPod and allow you to tune
your FM radio to listen to your iPod are ridiculously low powered. I want one so
powerful, the whole parking lot/office/ house next door/ hotel floor can listen
to my music. Now that would be true podcasting.
Word of advice to Apple, you better hurry up, Sony already has the PSP with Wifi access and others are going to take notice also and bundle all this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment