2006-12-22

Televison Proposition

I was walking fast in Sooq Sharq yesterday and as I was walking past the water clock in the middle of the Mall I got approached by a strange lady. "Excuse me! Excuse me!", she called out to me. In the past, I would stop and answer thinking those strangers needed help / directions / or knew me from before. Most times, they wanted to sell me some product I don't need, or wanted me to fill up a survey that "only would take 5 minutes" and end up taking something like 45 minutes.

This time, I turned to her still walking fast in the same direction I was going and the little lady was trying to catch up, "Yes?" I asked. "Do you want to be on Television?", she asked back.

Television, why do they want me on Television? I am not famous, so it would not be an interview, I was not wearing anything weird or have one those haystack haircuts that that the kids are sporting these days, so it was not for my looks. Flashbacks of different people on Kuwait Television answering an obscure Arabic literature question and getting it absurdly wrong came to my mind. I was never strong in Arabic Literature or poetry, so did not feel like being publicly embarrassed today. I replied to her, "Sorry, someone is waiting for me, maybe another time", and my fast walk turned into a brisk run as I headed towards the other side of the Mall.

4 comments:

  1. ktv has a bad history of humiliating themselves and interviewees.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. does anyone even watch KTV these days ? (apart from my mum ;P)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is Sooq Sharq the "East Market?" How pithy.

    Too bad you didn't go on the show and make up some crazy responses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ex: I know, thats why I ran away.

    diigmaa: I can't remember when was the last time I saw KTV.

    liosliath: Yes, because it is on the East side of Kuwait city along the Gulf Coast. On KTV, if you answer wrong and most people do, they add some sound effects and crazy editing to make it more funny. I did not want my legacy :-) to be that brief silly TV apearance.

    ReplyDelete