2005-11-17

Oil will run out by 2015

I recently was playing around with podcasts and I subscribed to this financial podcast. I forgot the name of the podcast but basically the gist of the talk was according to 2 studies, the oil reserves in the world will run out within 10 to 15 years and he was talking about the implications like reverse globalization because of no fuel or obscenely priced fuel. Meaning no travel, no import / exports except through sail boats,electricity becoming a luxury item. Communication would still continue, there would still be internet but very dark days ahead.

That got me thinking, what I would do with extremely high power costs, no travel, no purchasing power, different or no job especially for me in Kuwait.

I would probably sit down and write a book about the golden days when there was abundant oil. In hard times people get nostalgic and the book would be well received. I also need to learn how to write a book by candlelight and how to recharge my laptop from my exercise bike:

What would you do?

4 comments:

  1. that is not true, there are enough reserves but the question is will the industry be able to produce enough products from those crudes that are available to satisfy the demand.

    These stories come and go and the people who write them do not understand a bit about oil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Purg and Mac, I know these theories are flawed and I have been hearing about oil running out and being replaced by wind power / solar power / manure power {BS power, I think we got plenty of that :-) } / etc. since childhood which was a very long time ago.

    The point of my question was not about oil running out but more about what you would do if it hypothetically did, meaning what hidden talents do you have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing I would do is read your book. Given that there will be no purchasing power, I would probably borough it from you.
    Secondly, I would have to learn some BS to be able to produce some power.
    But showld we live to see that day, humans will adjust and they would start living within means. Our ancestors have always managed to get by. They might have even had a more enjoiable life since they worked less hours and had more time for family.
    The only thing I really worry about is deteriorating health care. But then again that should be no different than what we already have.

    ReplyDelete