2008-05-24

Mac OS X Under the hood

While browsing around the Terminal on the Macbook, I "discovered" that the Mac OSX has pre-installed:

perl
Ruby
python,
Apache,
X11

stuff I thought you could only find in Unix boxes, and Linux, I knew the engine underneath was Unix, but I thought it might have been sanitized so average users would not hurt themselves or their systems. One thing that is missing is a C complier that allows you to compile open source software, but that can easily be downloaded from the Apple Developers Connection. You need to register first, and I am not sure if you need to pay or it is free.

1 comment:

  1. You don't need to register or anything, all you need is to install the "Additional" software on the CD, mainly the "Xcode" package. It has all the c compilers etc to compile free applications. Also, downloads from the ADC are all free! (They're all GNU software).

    ReplyDelete