2005-12-03

What are your needs?


Ok, everyone I am back from my vacation and back to blogging again.

Have you ever asked yourself what are your needs? I don't mean the latest flash sports car but what are your needs as a person, as a being, as someone alive.

Do you know what your needs are and what are your priorities and what motivates you to do more for yourself and your surroundings? Ask no more, Abraham Maslow did all the research and came up with Maslow's hierarchy of needs. He summarized these needs into a pyramid fo needs. Basically, Maslow said you look for your physiological needs first meaning the need to eat, breath and drink. If the physiological needs are not met, all other needs become insignificant.

The next need is the need to be safe. Safety such as laws, rules, a proper home, job security, good salary, etc.

Once safety is met social needs take over like belonging to a community, having friends and loved ones, children, relatives. If you are lacking socially you get anxious and lonely.

Once you are fulfilled socially, you look for esteem. Maslow noted two versions of esteem needs, a lower one and a higher one. The lower one is the need for the respect of others, the need for status, fame, glory, recognition, attention, reputation, appreciation, dignity, even dominance. The higher form involves the need for self-respect, including such feelings as confidence, competence, achievement, mastery, independence, and freedom.

Self actualization is at the top of the pyramid and not many people actually reach it. Self actualization is is the instinctual need of a human to make the most of their unique abilities. You might have a talent and can actually realize that talent by writing a successful book if you are a writer, or inventing a popular gadget if you are have a talent for that.

Which part of the pyramid have you reached?

3 comments:

  1. i remember learning about this back in high school, its a very interesting theory! i think i've reached the social level of the pyramid though there are some overlaps.
    nice blog you got here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey welcome back. I almost gave up on you. I guess you are now back refreshed with all new and exciting blogs. Can't wait.
    Does blogging provide you with self actualization?
    I think this is subject is what is most on my mind lately. I guess I am getting old, huh?
    Glad to have you back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey computerchi, it is good to be back. To answer your question, my blog is more like a scrap book of things I like to post for myself and to share with others. It has no consistency, no sequence and is very random. You must have figured that out from the different posts. Self actualization is when I write my book, or sell my invention, or change the world, if that ever happens.

    ReplyDelete