2007-01-07

Back

I just returned from the vacations and would like to wish everyone a belated happy Eid / New Year / Christmas / Year of the Dog / Saddam Hanging / etc. vacations.

I know I have been away but I am back now with some pictures. I went to Dubai for the week long holiday and did a little exploring over there. I will not go on about how fast Dubai is growing and the magnificient generic landmarks like the Emirates Towers.

Emirates Towers


Instead here are a few pictures of cool stuff I found in Dubai. I found cans of Spam stocked on a supermarket shelf. I wanted to take those cans and trash them because I hate spam in my email inbox but managed to control myself :-)

Spam Cans


Something more exciting is an actual size replica of the Predator character made out of little gears, tractor chains and metal bits and pieces.

Predator


While walking around the smaller streets of Dubai I came across a Wimpy Hamburger place. Wimpy in the late 70s was in every Cooperative Society in Kuwait, then other hamburger and fast food places took over and Wimpy disappeared.

Wimpy


I ordered a Wimpy Cheeseburger meal and sat outside to eat it.

Wimpy Meal


As I was about to bite into my hamburger, a street cat walked under my feet, spit out the cigarette it was smoking and gave me a menacing look.


Street cat


So I shooed the cat away and enjoyed my rare meal.

I went to the Emirates Mall where they have a ski slope built inside the mall. It was cool, but what was cooler was when I ordered from a sandwich shop called Toast and they gave me an electronic beeper that beeped when the order was ready.

Toast Beeper


On my return to Kuwait, I found out that the monitors where all blank down at the luggage carousel.

Blank Monitor


No one knew which bag came from which flight.


Track


So, just in case they still did not fix it and you are due to arrive in Kuwait in the near future, the trick is to go to each of the carousels and read the luggage tag which shows the flight it came from. If you find your flight, stand near that track and wait for your bag.

7 comments:

  1. I was starting to worry about u...glad to hear u had a great time in Dubai...BTW, its on my list of places to visit. You made me so hungry..that burger looked yummy and that was the toughest cat I have ever seen hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Back! Those were great photos. Much love for the smoking cat! Now as for SPAM.. ewwww ewww ewwww I never liked that stuff as a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool you didnt quit blogging. there was a rumor u had quit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 7imdila 3al salama :)
    welcome back.. Happy everything and I WAS IN DUBAI TOOOOOOOO !! (check my last post:P)

    I loved that predator replica..
    but confession.. at first.. as much as I admired it.. (and I grew up watching that movie a million times).. emm I thought it was some rasta muffin samurai ;P

    I have no sense of observation.. I didn't notice it at first .. madre don't ask.. and how come the airport looks empty ?? It was packed when I got in..

    all this Dubai food talk.. I'm craving The Meat Co. now...

    You were much missed.. Best for 2007 darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The airport monitors thing - typically kuwait lol.

    Welcome back and happy belated new year ;P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post I loved it :)

    And hope you had a fantastic break.

    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  7. vie: I am ok, Dubai is great and no one messes with me when I am eating, even a vicious tough talking street cat.

    mia: Thanks, first time I see actual Spam cans. I know they are supposed to be everywhere but we don't have any over here.

    mark: nope, I am alive and well and blogging :-)

    diigmaa: I saw your post, we must have passed each other without even knowing. The Predator does look like a Samurai, but you can notice the tentacled mouth and the laser rifle on his shoulder. I wanted to buy it but I always imagine that statues come alive at night and I did not want a predator creature attacking me in my house.

    dishevelled: I was the first to figure out where the bags where and everyone else on my flight followed me ;-)

    Intlxpatr: Yeah, I nearly bit the cat, but it did not get any of my Wimpy Burger.

    Jewairah: Thank you, Happy new year and have a wonderful 2007.

    ReplyDelete