2005-10-14

Macgyver for President

Who remembers Macgyver? He was that laid-back, extremely resourceful ex-special forces secret agent named Angus "Mac" MacGyver.

MacGyver's main asset is his practical application of scientific knowledge and inventive use of common items – along with his ever-present Swiss Army knife and duct tape and the usual coincidence of being locked up in a room full of special chemicals.

This allows him to create a variety of unorthodox solutions, usually to escape capture, avert disaster, or defeat the antagonists. The use of mundane items to build jury-rigged devices shows an influence from The A-Team (though MacGyver eschewed the use of firearms) and has entered U.S. popular culture and are referred to as "MacGyverisms".

Well he is running for president, if Aahnold can make it as governor, why not MacGyver?

How many of you had a MacGyver moment?

I wish I could say I built a helicopter from a wire hanger and an old newspaper and a few pieces of wood, but I never did.

4 comments:

  1. Very ingenious and did not even need a swiss army knife or duct tape. I am impressed!

    I can put together IKEA furniture, is that Macgverish?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow and here I was thinking that MacGuver was the same one in the cartoon my brother used to watch!
    I feel so ignorant now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. McGuyver and the Guyver, lol,, very different :) I loved McGuyver, I really did. I haven't really had any McGuyver moments, but I would consider my friend making a pipe out of a bicycle pump was pretty McGuyverish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mc: I reinforce my IKEA construction with Ponal wood glue. It makes it last a life time.

    Delicately: Guyver rocks, but MacGyver is real (I think?!?)

    Bill: the pipe fix sounds good enough for Mcgyver

    ReplyDelete