2005-10-17

The Top Ten Blog Design Mistakes

According to Jakob Nielsen who is a useability expert with many rave reviews and publications, here are the top ten blog design mistakes that you could commit.

1 - No Author Biographies
2 - No Author Photo
3 - Nondescript Posting Titles
4 - Links Don't Say Where They Go
5 - Classic Hits are Buried
6 - The Calendar is the Only Navigation
7 - Irregular Publishing Frequency
8 - Mixing Topics
9 - Forgetting That You Write for Your Future Boss
10 - Having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service

More details about these points can be found here.

Now how do I rate based on the 10 rules:

1) No Author Biographies
Well I got a biography, sort of, in my profile. +1 for me.

2) No Author Photo
I got a teeny tiny photo. +1

3) Nondescript Posting Titles
I try to make my titles meaningful. +1

4) Links Don't Say Where They Go
I hate obscure links, I try to make my links meaningful. +1 (so far so good)

5) Classic Hits are Buried
Don't know if I have any classic posts, I know the Michael Jackson post that I did a while back got a lot of hits. I will give myself a 0 here.

6) The Calendar is the Only Navigation
No navigation for me, other than the date of entry. 0 again.

7) Irregular Publishing Frequency
No set schedule for me also, 0

8) Mixing Topics
My topics are cocktailish, some nerd stuff, some people stuff, some Kuwait pictures, ok 0 again.

9) Forgetting That You Write for Your Future Boss
I am not writing about anything work related, so I guess I am safe here. +1

10) Having a Domain Name Owned by a Weblog Service
I use blogspot, cause this blog is just for fun and will not be IPO'd soon. So 0 for me.

Total score 5 out of 10, barely passed.



Bulletin Board


But, in my defense and yours, the whole charm of personal blogs is to act like an electronic scrap book, where you post things that you like and want to share. I like to think of it as a shoe box or cork board where you stick all the little fun pieces you come across in life. So forget the rules and post whatever makes you happy.

2 comments:

  1. A blog for me is not only an outlet of expression, it is a relief. I swear, if I kept on internalizing all the appalling behavior that I experience, I would become very unstable. Remarkably, I've been feeling so much better ever since I started blogging.

    Now, I do blog about work somtimes, which could definitely jeopordize my career, but I don't think my boss will find out about it. (figers crossed)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome delight, I got your blog on my bloglines list and you really get in some bad situations. Everyone does, you should not let it affect you. I am glad your blog helps.

    This is what I do, (paraphrasing Frank Herbert):

    I must not get mad.
    Madness is the mind-killer.
    Madness is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
    I will face my fear.
    I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
    And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
    Where the madness has gone there will be nothing.
    Only I will remain.

    ReplyDelete