According to the Boston Globe, Blogs are 'essential' to a good career.
The gist of the article is that:
1. Blogging creates a network of friends just like having your own little PR machine.
2. Blogging can get you a job. (I read about people getting fired for their blogs because they where viciously critical of their coworkers and managers, I guess it could work both ways.)
3. Blogging is great training, it helps your become regularly creative and judging what is interesting for your audience.
4. Blogging makes you move up quickly. (unless you get caught on company time, blogging away, then you could move down quickly)
5. Blogging makes self employment easy. ( Well if you get fired, then self employment is the only option.)
6. Blogging provides more opportunities. ( refer to point 5)
7. Blogging could be your big break. (refer to point 5)
8. Blogging makes the world a better place. (I got a comment here, but it is a little harsh)
I liked the article, even though my comments are tilted towards the sarcastic. Read it for yourself, what do you think?